Puddle Duck Preschool Hangs Up Its Wings

The owners of Puddle Duck stand in front of their school sign.

For 29 years, Jemima Puddle Duck school in Walpole has provided a friendly learning environment for its students ages three to five. May 25 marks the closing of the preschool, which opened in 1983. Since the beginning, Puddle Ducks Preschool has been offering early childhood education from the founders of the school, Patti Connolly and Judie Mahan. They were informed early this year that the school would be forced to close due to the decreasing number of students throughout the past few years. The school, which provides for a maximum of 18 students, will be the third preschool to close down in Walpole because of this problem.

Connolly and Mahan came up with the idea for their school when Connolly adopted her first son. They opened a nursery school and a daycare, later consolidating the two into a preschool. Connolly used to work at another nursery and Mahan worked at an elementary school where she had taught fourth grade, third grade, first grade, and then kindergarten. “We are very, very sad; we’re not closing because we want to,” Connolly said about the closing of Puddle Duck Preschool. The pair have come to love Puddle Duck, which was named after a Beatrix Potter book. After 29 years, they still remember the names of the majority of their students, though it may take a while for them to recognize them. Connolly and Mahan feel “truly blessed” to have spent the past 29 years with such wonderful families.

Connolly and Mahan have always adored young children, which is why they chose the three-to-five years age group for Puddle Duck. “Children provide an opportunity where you get to look at life again through a kid’s eyes; it’s the joy of seeing life a second time” said Mahan. The two women have been friends for years, and after the closing of their school, they plan to continue working together to write childrens books. They will never forget the families they have met over the years. “We love our families,” said Mahan. Though it is time for them to hang up their wings, Connolly and Mahan intend to continue teaching the lessons of Puddle Duck Preschool, such as be kind and help others, through their children’s books.

Though former duckers are distraught over the closing of Puddle Duck,  all former students are invited to show their appreciation at the “Farewell to Puddle Duck” on June 2, 2012. The celebration will take place at Blackburn Hall from one to four in the afternoon to honor Connolly and Mahan for their dedication to their students and the community over the past 29 years. The closing of the school breaks the heart of many of their past students, who often see the two women around Walpole and fondly remember them as their very first teachers. Patti Connolly and Judie Mahan will continue to be remembered, as will Puddle Duck Preschool.

Visit here to find the best summer camp which can offer your children multiple programmes to develop their various skills.