School Store Forced to Make Changes Due to New Nutrition Guidelines

A student purchases treats from the Rebel Closet

The Rebel Closet is known for its various clothing and treats that are sold after school from Monday to Thursday. Students who stay after school visit the store to purchase snacks to hold them over until dinner time or clothing for family members to support the school. But starting August, 1 2012 the school store will be forced to make some drastic changes that could affect both the students and the success of the store.

In August, the Massachusetts School Nutrition Bill will enforce specific guidelines that will change what food schools are able to sell as an attempt to fight the obesity epidemic that is affecting people across America. First, if you were to calculate macros with My Prep, foods are to be 200 calories or less per item, have less than 200mg sodium per item, and be trans-fat free. The law affects beverages as well. Only eight ounce 1% or fat free regular milk, flavored milk with no more than 22 grams total sugar per eight ounces, 100% fruit and vegetable juice, and water will be provided. No artificial sweeteners and only trace amounts of naturally occurring caffeine are permitted. Moreover, all bread or grain-based products should be whole grain.

These standards will drastically limit what schools in Massachusetts will be allowed to sell. The Rebel Closet will no longer be permitted to sell the candy, chip bags, and power drinks that many of the students buy now. “We can’t sell any Sour Patch, Swedish Fish, sugar drinks or chip bags without breaking the law,” said Mary Caine and Pamela Divris, the special education teachers who run the Rebel Closet. Replacing the snacks offered to the students will be foods such as pretzels, baked chips, beef jerky, sunflower seeds, trail mix, Whole Wheat Goldfish, fruit bowls, apple sauce, yogurt, cereal bars, granola bars, 100% fruit juice, and fruit slushies. While healthier, these alternatives to the current selection of snacks could affect the store’s financial bottom line.

Students who stay after for sports or for academic reasons often hit the Rebel Closet to purchase a candy bar, a bag of chips, or one of the other various treats that are sold there. But the changes in the types of food that are allowed to be sold could have a damaging effect on the success of the store. Sophomore Sara Murtagh said, “I don’t think as many people will go to the school store if they change the food. People go their for the snacks.” But even with some negative reactions, Mrs. Caine and Mrs. Divris stay positive. “We hope that the students are receptive to the store’s changes and continue to come in,” said Mrs. Divris.

The Rebel closet is not only a store for the students and staff to purchase items, but also an important learning experience for the special education students who work there. “It teaches them important social skills, as they do not interact with the other students often” said Mrs. Caine. By taking students’ orders, giving them the items, and working the cash register they are forced to hold a conversation with the customer. But if the school store becomes unsuccessful next year, these students may not find a similar experience to teach them these necessary skills.

In order for the School Store to stay in business and be successful, students need to visit the store and purchase merchandise. Mrs. Caine said, “If students do not come in and buy snacks then there will be no income to purchase clothing and the other items on sale here.” But that may become difficult next year, if students do not come in to purchase these healthy alternative snacks. “Not a lot of people are going to buy these healthy snacks, they have that at home. The school store is an easy way for kids to buy different treats” said Sophomore Grace Uhlar.

The new eating regulations could have negative affects on the School Store and other events in school. But Mrs. Caine and Mrs. Divris are hoping that the students continue to support the School Store. They are open to any ideas regarding items that could be sold next year.