Coalition Informs Community of Drug and Alcohol Consequences

The Walpole Coalition for Drug and Alcohol Awareness.
The Walpole Coalition for Drug and Alcohol Awareness warns parents against underage drinking during this prom season.

The Boston Globe published an article on April 18 entitled “Group educates parents on social hosting law” which highlighted the difficulty of informing parents and teenagers about the dangers of substance abuse.  The article  discussed how Richard P. Campbell felt that nobody was listening to his warnings about parents tolerating underage drinking.  He said, “I guess the sad part is that despite talking about it for years, the behavior goes on and on.” Many parents end up looking for Rehab Boardman Ohio services to save their kids.

Similar to Mr. Campbell, the Walpole Coalition for Drug and Alcohol Awareness has been working harder than ever before to connect with students and extend their message to the Walpole Community in many different ways. For example, they are reaching out to the schools through video challenges and adults through the HERO Campaign. In addition, they are keeping the town informed about their activities and campaigns by attending and presenting information at their meetings twice a month, as well as Walpole School Committee meetings.

The Coalition is led by Robin Chapell, the Director of the Board of Health and is made up of various parents, town officials, school administrators, and other citizens of Walpole. It is an up-and-coming group who started out in late 2011 when the Walpole Board of Selectman approved funding for the Coalition. The mission statement displayed on their website is “to reduce substance abuse and delay the onset of drug and alcohol consumption among Walpole youth.” Currently, they are trying to get others involved through their websiteFacebook page, and YouTube channel.

Recently, the Coalition has been trying to reach out to students of all ages.  For the past three years they have hosted video challenges for Walpole students. The students are separated into three age groups—grade 5, grades 6-8, and grades 9-12—and based on their age group, they are asked to submit videos regarding destructive behaviors, specifically alcohol and substance abuse.  The videos, between 20 and 90 seconds, appeal to a student audience.  Then, based on the number of YouTube views, Facebook likes, appropriateness of the information, and creativity, the Coalition decides which videos should receive prizes.  The top three videos win prizes: first place receives $250, second place receives $100, and third place receives $50.

In addition, the Walpole Coalition for Alcohol and Drug Awareness is joining the nationwide HERO Campaign.  The campaign began in 2000 when John Elliot—a Naval Academy Graduate—was killed by a drunk driver. The same driver had been released from jail earlier that morning after being charged for a DUI and after a friend bailed him out, he drove drunk again and killed himself and John Elliot. Elliot’s parents decided to use their son’s death to motivate others.  However, instead of trying to convince people not to drink, their goal (according to their website) is to “make having a designated driver be as automatic as wearing a seatbelt.”

Recently, Norfolk District Attorney Michael W. Morrissey paid for an alcohol server training course for bartenders in Norfolk County. Numerous businesses in Norfolk County, including British Beer Company, Chili’s, Texas Roadhouse, 204 Washington, and other Walpole restaurants and bars, have joined the HERO Campaign. In doing this, the bartenders and restaurants agree to offer free non-alcoholic beverages to all designated drivers.

As prom season nears, many teenagers are going to be faced with dangerous choices.  The Walpole Coalition hopes that with the help of various forms of social media they have been able to reach students and parents in their attempt to keep the citiens of Walpole safe.