Meet the Captains: Girls Outdoor Track

Gabby McGrath

When did you first begin playing this sport?

Freshman year.

Do you want to continue this sport in college?

Unsure.

Who was a prominent coach in your sports career? Why?

Cashman, because he has been my coach for 8 seasons.

What other activities/clubs are you involved in?

Robotics, feminism club, DOVE, NHS.

How do you feel going into this season? 

Excited, hopeful that we can win divisionals because we have a lot of the same girls from indoor.

What are some goals set for the team this coming season?/How do you plan to achieve these goals? 

To win divisionals, because that was our goal at the end of indoor and we’ve only grown since then. We’ll all have to work hard and support each other if we want to get close again.

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why?

Needham, because we lost to them at the beginning of our indoor season. But we’ve gotten a lot stronger since then so hopefully we can come back to beat them.

Do you think the team will make tournament/post season? How far do you think you’ll make it?

Yes, our goal is to qualify as many girls as possible for the divisional championship, and hopefully come close to winning like we did in indoor.

Erin Regan

Freshman year.

Yes.

Coach Coogan and Coach Rafferty for always making me go out of my comfort zone even when I didn’t want to just to make me better.

How do you feel going into this season? 

I feel really good, we have a huge group of sprinters and I’m really excited to get everyone as far into the post season as possible.

Qualifying as many people for postseason as we can and hopefully maybe winning our league.

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why?

Needham has always been a really strong team and it’s very hard to compete with them. If we give our all I know we can win.

Hopefully some people can get to states and New England’s like they did in indoor.

Eva Clarke

Sophomore year.

Yes.

If yes, are you committed for this sport? To what school?

I am not yet committed, I am still waiting on some admissions decisions from a few of my schools.

Ms. Rafferty has been my main coach for track since the beginning, she coaches me through all 3 of my events (high jump, long jump and hurdles) and really helps to improve more and more every week. She has a lot of knowledge about the sport and has definitely passed all this knowledge to me, which really helps especially when I am helping the new hurdlers and jumpers learn technique and skills. She truly cares about every athlete and helps each person to meet their individual goals.

I work and volunteer at Golden Opportunities for Independence, I take AP Studio Art which tends to take up a lot of after school/ out of school time, I’m in feminism club, and I am also the Lifestyle Editor for The Rebellion which can also take up some after school/out of school time.

How do you feel going into this season? 

I feel confident that we are going to have a very successful season, although indoor track tends to bring smaller teams we had such a successful season and I really hope that transitions into this season as well, especially with so many more people.

We definitely want to get a big team to divisionals and other post-season meets, hopefully even win our division like the boys team did last season, although we did come very close to winning ourselves. We also always try and qualify as many people as possible for the invitationals that happen throughout the season.

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why?

Usually Natick and Needham are very competitive and difficult meets for us, it is against these teams that every point really does count because the end result is always so close.

I definitely think a ton of girls are going to make post season, last season (indoor) we took a good portion of girls on the team to post season so we will have to see how the season goes. We had a relay team and a few individuals go all the way to nationals which is really exciting so I’m excited to see how far we get this season.

Mikayla Francois

Freshman Year.

No.

Ms. Rafferty because without her amazing coaching skills, I don’t believe I would’ve been able to improve the way I did Sophomore year, Junior year and even now.

Students For Equality.

How do you feel going into this season? 

I can’t say for sure what’s going to happen, but I have faith in this team and what they can do in each event group. I hope I can perform to their expectations, but also leave this season feeling satisfied and accomplished.

Win Divisionals, and beat every team we face this season. Only way to achieve these is with hard work in the days leading up to the first meet and on.

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why?

Milton because they are pretty good in a lot of areas.

Yes I do, most likely through All states.

Caroline McGrath

Freshman Year.

Yes.

University of Alabama.

Cashman; he’s been my coach for four year and he always knows how to push everyone to new levels of achievement.

NHS.

How do you feel going into this season? 

I feel really excited, I think we have a really strong team this year and we can do some great things.

Winning the Herget division of the BSC and hopefully winning the D2 championships. Going undefeated in our league meets would also be really great and is definitely within reach. We can achieve these goals by just making sure everyone is healthy and strong across all our events.

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why?

Needham was the only team we lost to in indoor, so going up against them again will be big.

Yes; I think we’ll do well at the league championship and put up a strong showing at the division championship.

Savannah Campbell

Freshman year.

Yes.

Mr. O because he always pushes me to do my best.

Soccer.

How do you feel going into this season? 

Confident and determined to do well.

Winning divisionals by pushing everyone to perform their absolute best throughout the season.

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why?

Needham.

Yes, because we haves strong team of athletes this season.