Walpole Athletes Cement Future in College Athletics

Sydney Scales, GiGi Anello and Shane Grant Sign National Letters of Intent

Photo/ Catie Martin

With fall sports coming to a close, three senior athletes temporarily took their sights off of their seasons to focus on their futures. On Nov. 13, athletes Sydney Scales, Gigi Anello, and Shane Grant signed their National Letter of Intent to participate in college athletics. 

Photo/ Catie Martin

Senior Sydney Scales committed to play Division I lacrosse at Boston College in September of her junior year. She has played with Walpole’s varsity lacrosse team since her freshman year, leading her team to two championship games and one semifinal. Now captaining her senior season, Scales looks forward to her last season as a Rebel and then to become an Eagle. 

“I am so thankful for Rebel lacrosse and am beyond excited to begin my athletic career with Boston College,” Scales said. “I am so grateful for the opportunity to be able to study and play there.” 

Alongside Scales, senior Gigi Anello committed to play Division I lacrosse at the University of Vermont in November of her junior year. Anello played with Walpole’s junior varsity team during her freshman year and played with the varsity team during her last two seasons. Going into her final season as a Rebel, Anello is excited to end off her high school career on a high note and continue her athletic and academic career at UVM.

Photo/ Catie Martin

“While the competitive lacrosse initially drove me towards UVM, the academic opportunities I also discovered convinced me that UVM was the perfect fit for me,” Anello said. 

Moving away from the lacrosse field, Shane Grant committed to run Division I cross country and track at Northeastern University in October of his senior year. Being on varsity since his freshman year, Grant has broken countless records in both cross country and track while becoming ranked at national meets. Captaining his senior seasons, Grant continues to push his records and set himself up for his future at NU. 

“I’m looking forward to making the most of this year before I move into Northeastern and focus to help their team,” Grant said.

Photo/ Catie Martin

Surrounded by family, friends, and coaches, Scales, Anello and Grant signed their NLI in the auditorium of WHS. Athletic Director Ron Dowd organizes this event every year to honor these athletes and their hard work throughout their high school careers. 

“We like to make [NLI day] about the students. We invite everybody down, family, friends and just anyone who would like to come,” Dowd said. “Other schools host this event after school, but we try to incorporate it during the school day and make it more fun for the individual athletes.”

This tradition at WHS is attended by many and makes this experience special for all involved. After signing their NLI, athletes are able to finally take their worries off of a college search and focus back on their current sport season and academics. 

“It feels great to have signed,” Scales said. “Especially watching some fellow athletes and teammates sign the past few years, to finally be up there really was surreal and makes everything worth it.”