Meet the Captains: Boys Soccer

Oliver Kelleher

Photo/ Oliver Kelleher

When did you first begin playing this sport? I first started when I was four years old. 

Do you want to continue this sport in college? Yes, I will consider playing soccer in college; however, I’m more likely to pursue my rugby career.

Who was a prominent coach in your sports career? Why? My most prominent coach was my dad, he coached me in almost every sport that I have played.

What other activities/clubs are you involved in? I’m also involved in the track program as well. I was on the team sophomore year.

How do you feel going into this season? I am confident that my team is getting better and better at practice. Day in and day out, we practice almost every day as a team.

What are some goals set for the team this coming season? How do you plan to achieve them? A goal that we can achieve is to get into the tournament and dominate to try to win a championship. We’ll continue to practice hard and strong these next few weeks.

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why? Braintree has become a rival because of how physical our games are.

Joe Colbert 

Photo/ Joe Colbert

When did you first begin playing this sport? I started playing when I was four.

Do you want to continue this sport in college? No, I do not plan on playing soccer in college.

Who was a prominent coach in your sports career? Why? My dad coached me since I was five years old until I got to high school and he has taught me a lot. In my high school career, Coach Croak and Delaney have helped me improve as a player as well.

What other activities/clubs are you involved in? I play tennis in addition to soccer.

How do you feel going into this season? I feel like we will be successful this season because we have a talented group of players this year.

What are some goals set for the team this coming season? How do you plan to achieve them? It would be ideal to finish the season with a solid record by winning the majority of our games.

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why? Braintree and Weymouth are our rivals this season because our games always end with close scores.

Ryan Formica

Photo/ Ryan Formica

Do you want to continue this sport in college? I began playing soccer in kindergarten, around the age of five.

Who was a prominent coach in your sports career? Why? Vincent Colbert had been my coach all the way up until high school. He taught me not only how to play the sport, but brought me together with kids that I would still be part of a group with in highschool.

What other activities/clubs are you involved in? I am involved in the Math Team during the school year, except for this year due to COVID.

How do you feel going into this season? Going into the season I was optimistic to even have a season; however, we knew it was going to be a challenge with all the new rules. Our plan was to do our best to adapt to these rules and learn this “new” way of soccer.

What are some goals set for the team this coming season? How do you plan to achieve them? Goals the team has set this season are to find the best lineup that will produce the most output whether the athlete is skilled or effort-based. We plan to achieve this goal by having everyone compete at practice to fight for that starting spot. When everyone competes it forces the starters to work harder in fear of losing that spot. We are basically working as a team and pushing each other as a team.

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why? Big opponents we will be facing are Braintree and Weymouth, two good teams where the team who works harder will win.