Meet the Captains: Girls Winter Track

Nicole Knoth

When did you first begin playing this sport?

I started track when I was a sophomore and have done winter and spring each year since.

Do you want to continue this sport in college?

I do want to continue this sport in college, even if it’s not the first year.  It is something that I want to keep going and competing with especially because of the activity and friendships it comes with.

Who was a prominent coach in your career? Why

A prominent coach for me was Coach Coogan. He is the head sprints coach and has always pushed all of us to do our best each practice and meet regardless of how fast we are. He gives individual attention to each person to fix what they’re doing wrong specifically and has helped me immensely. He also keeps the team in good spirits and excited to come to practice during this year of uncertainty and cold outdoor practices.

How do you feel going into this season?

It’s definitely a different season this year because of COVID-19 with fewer meets and being outdoors, but keeping everyone in shape and excited for the meets we do have will help us perform our best. 

What are some goals set for the team this coming season/How do you plan to achieve these goals?

For our goals this year it’s just to get to compete as many times as possible and give each meet a hundred percent effort. 

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why?

I don’t necessarily think of one team in particular because it’s different for each event group, but we have many teams that we come neck in neck with at competitions and it can come down to the last couple of relays to decide who wins.

Katie Gillis

I started it freshman year. 

No.

Who was a prominent coach in your career? Why?

Coach Rafferty has been my coach since freshman year and she has been so helpful and supportive since I started. 

What other activities/clubs are you involved in?

I do journalism and I do track in the spring as well. 

How do you feel going into this season?

I’m really excited that we actually get to have a season this year, even if it’s a lot different than normal. 

Obviously we always want to be working and practicing hard to bring our times down, but I think the main goal is just to have fun and enjoy being able to run and be all together as a team despite the pandemic. 

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why?

I think Needham and Natick are our biggest rivalries because those meets are usually pretty close and come down to only a few points. 

Maggie Mahoney

Freshman year.

No.

Mr. O because he pushes me to get better everyday and he helped me get used to Mid-Distance when I switched from sprints last year.

I play lacrosse and soccer and I’m a member of the Spanish club.

How do you feel going into this season?

This season is definitely looking very different but I’m excited to compete again and I’m confident that the team will do well.

One major goal for the team would be winning the Herget again and since there aren’t invitational meets to qualify for this year another goal is for everyone to get as many PRs as possible and just keep improving as a team.

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why?

Natick and Needham are always really tough teams to beat, and Brookline was our only loss last year.

Amanda Melish

Sophomore year.

Unsure.

Coach Rafferty because she got me to join track and she never gives up on me.

Swimming & Diving, Outdoor track.

How do you feel going into this season?

I’m feeling confident that we will have a good season even with all the new COVID-19 restrictions.

Some of our major goals is just to have a good season, to be able to have meets and to compete with other teams with all of the new regulations that were put into place with Covid.

Who are some big opponents/rivals? Why?

Needham because they have a really strong team and always put up a good competition.

Charlotte Clarke

Did not respond to survey.