Walpole High School Participates in Red Cross Blood Drive

jenniferharrop

A Red Cross nurse helps a student donate blood.

Blood drives are an integral part of todays society because every minute of the day, at least one person is need of blood.  Giving blood could save a life–whether it be an adult, a child, or an infant.  Once a year, Red Cross holds a blood drive in the Walpole High School Gymnasium through the Student Council.  On Tuesday, March 3, students, teachers, and members of the town of Walpole signed up to donate blood to victims in need.

Students got involved in the blood drive every year because they find it an easy way to make a difference and help out the community. Senior Ross Perham said, “Blood Banks are always low as it is, and it feels good to give back to the community.” Other students felt the same way. This year’s blood drive will be the second time senior Alison True has signed up to give blood. “I signed up last year,” True said, “But I got a little queasy.” True said even though the thought of needles and giving blood made her nervous, she wanted to help out the community, and “if giving blood helps, why not?”

Students are not the only people in the school community who feel giving blood is a positive act; staff and parents also have a large effect on the success of the blood drive. Even if they are not donating themselves, parents have a positive influence on their children when it comes to blood drives. Perham said, “I actually started donating because my mom does. Seeing her give blood to those in need inspired me to help out myself.”

The Walpole High School staff also tried to influence students any way they can. Gabriel Bakale, a Latin teacher at Walpole High School, gave his students an incentive if they signed up and tried to donate, even if they did not go through with it. As someone who always tries to donate blood whenever he can, Mr. Bakale awarded his students with “Denarii,” which is a way to earn bonus points for students who take his class.

The Walpole High School staff not only tries to influence the students in the school to give blood, many members of the faculty signed up to donate blood themselves.  Janitor Al Brown says, “It feels great helping out my school community.” Brown said he likes blood drives not only because he can help someone who needs his blood a lot more than he does, but because “[he] likes the apple juice they give [him].” Brown also jokingly said, “If it was needed, I probably could give another pint because it doesn’t make me feel queasy.”
Throughout the school day on March 3, teachers and students alike signed up to donate blood to Red Cross victims in need. The Student Council hosted the blood drive in the gymnasium to try and involve students in the community more, and show them how easy it is to give back. The annual blood drive at the high school helped the students participate in an act of charity and could possibly help influence the students in their adult lives. If high school students can learn how beneficial it is to donate blood early on, they may continue the habit of helping out their community as they grow older.