The Searchlight

Comments (2)

All The Searchlight Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• T

The Old Way was FINEJan 31, 2010 at 11:50 am

I think that the old system was fine… yes its a pain that students have to give up certain classes for unified arts, but you have to give up at least half a semester to health anyways at some point in your high school career, which likely results in you taking gym as well… But that sounds terrifying, doesn’t it? Learning about how to take care of yourself and doing physical activity during school? OH MY. I’d much rather take another language and endure the stress of more homework and tests… or not.

So the system is flawed to begin with as gym and health will interrupt your sched no matter what for one year, but I’ll agree that this new elective requirement just seems worse. As for the complainers who whine about how they didn’t know what the graduation requirements are, maybe they should pick up the handbook (doesn’t everyone have to sign it frosh year saying they read it?), which clearly shows what you have to do to graduate… (cough, maybe some of the guidance department should review this too, cough)…

So while some of you will read this and be enraged because you will never be able to make it to Latin 5 or Robotics 7 and be forced to take some sort of artistic class, you should plan ahead when you enroll at WHS… there are rules to graduating that you just have to put up with…

Reply
  • B

Billy HeanueJan 29, 2010 at 10:48 pm

This is awful. This means 2 of my 7 blocks next year must be occupied by these “core electives”. Should the school pay for the college courses i will need to take over the summer to satisfy these foolishly idealist requisites? Yes, because the student body largely had no say in this matter.
    Furthermore, these new requirements largely contradict the high school’s Mission Statement. These “core electives” will have to occupy 2 of the the 7 classes I will take senior year. By obstructing me from taking the classes WHICH I AM INTERESTED IN and WANT TO TAKE, I am forced to devote time to those which I am not. This new rule is not “fostering learning through a collaborative process which engages STUDENTS, educators, and the community”, it is forcing it. It is NOT providing the “opportunities for students to acquire knowledge and to develop skills in order to achieve academic and PERSONAL goals”.
    Sadly, the personal goals I wish to achieve during my stay at WHS do not include Accounting, they lie in other electives not deemed “core”. These include Micro+Macroeconomics, Anatomy+Physiology, US Government, and International Relations (among numerous others).
    So it seems that a difference in opinion will bar me from graduation, lest I invest my own money into courses taught elsewhere. It is awful to think that in such a liberal society that is Massachusetts, the freedom of choosing one’s own classes for the subsequent year are constrained by those who wish to CONTROL what the student’s mind should be focusing upon.

Reply
Activate Search
New elective requirements still hurt students