Sydney Scales Achieves 1,000 Point Milestone in Basketball

Scales Surpasses 1,000 Points in one of the Last Games of her High School Career

Tim Hoffman

Scales poses with her teammates, holding a poster after scoring her 1,000th point.

On Feb. 13, senior Sydney Scales hit a milestone in her outstanding basketball career: she scored her 1,000th point against Foxboro in Walpole High School’s home gym. Although Scales added 17 points to Walpole’s score—16 to reach the 1,000 point mark—they ultimately fell to the competitive Foxboro team 59-52.

Scales has started for the varsity basketball team since halfway through her freshman year. Prior to high school, Scales played for the Metrowest A team and led the team to five championships. She also played for elite AAU teams, including Gym Rats and NEX.

“All of my coaches have helped me get to this point. Specifically, my dad has been a big mentor to me and helped me improve my game to a level that allowed me to reach this goal,” Scales said. 

Although Scales was aware she was nearing the 1,000 point mark, she did not know when the exact moment would be. In her game against Foxboro, she felt pressure to score, as it was the Rebel’s final home game of the season. 

During the game, Scales’s family and friends crowded the bleachers. Everyone erupted in cheers and applause when Scales put the ball through the hoop for her 1,000th point.

The coaches and referees stopped the game to acknowledge Scales and her accomplishment. Scales’s teammates celebrated her by running from the bench and crowding around her, while photographer Tim Hoffman captured the moment on camera. Mei Totten, the team manager, presented Scales with a poster designed for this specific moment. 

“It felt great to reach this accomplishment. It’s something I’ve always aspired to achieve but to actually reach this goal is amazing,” Scales said. 

The Rebels defeated Scituate and most recently Oliver Ames to advance to the second round of playoffs after Scales reached her milestone. Although they fell to the Needham Rockets, the Rebels finished the season strong. Scales finished the season with approximately 1,060 points.

“It definitely makes all of the hard work worth it. I have spent so many years of my life playing this one game, so to finally reach such a rewarding milestone like this, it shows that hard work really does pay off,” Scales said. 

Scales has played with many of her teammates for several years, some since elementary school, and for others, this is their first time playing together. Scales’s teammates continue to show support for her and admire her accomplishment. 

“Sydney deserves to reach this milestone, because although it is an individual award, she always puts the team first and tries her best to help us win, rather than worrying about her own stats,” senior captain Elisabeth Roche said. 

Scales is also one of the captains of the girls’ lacrosse team, and she hopes to bring the same level of competitiveness and drive to the lacrosse field. She will continue her lacrosse career at Boston College next year; however, basketball will always be meaningful to Scales. 

“Now that my basketball career is over, I look forward to having a great senior lacrosse season and college lacrosse career,” Scales said. 

As a whole, Scales has left a major impact on the Walpole girls’ basketball program.

“It won’t be realistic to think we can replace her productivity, but I firmly believe all the returning players have learned from her and will help carry on the tradition of success that she helped create,” coach David Wall said.