Meet The Captains: Softball

Despite the spring athletic seasons being canceled due to COVID-19 precautions, the dedication and leadership exuded by the spring sports captains at Walpole High School will be fully recognized.

Katie Leacoma

When did you first begin playing this sport?

I started playing softball when I was eight, but started off with T-Ball as soon as I could hold a bat.

Do you want to continue this sport in college?

Yes.  

If yes, are you committed for this sport? To what school?

I will be trying out for Springfield College’s softball team in the fall.

Who was a prominent coach in your sports career? Why?

Coach Sprague. She brought me on the team as a freshman and from the start she always had so much confidence in me. She always pushed me to become a better player, challenging me in practices and always making sure I gave my full effort in everything. I have to say, she is the only coach I have ever had to cancel practice and take us laser tagging instead. Coach Sprague has helped make these past four years so memorable and so much fun.  

What other activities/clubs are you involved in?

I am part of the Humane Society, Best Buddies and am a member of the National Honor Society. I also volunteer at New Pond Village, teaching art classes to the residents and visiting them with my dog Rosie.

Who have always been some big opponents/rivals? Why?

Norwood is a big rival. The head coach of Norwood, Carol Savino, was Coach Sprague’s coach back when she played in high school. Every year we battle Norwood for the Herget title. Whenever we play them, it definitely gets super competitive and is always a great game. Newton North is a great opponent as well. They have a great coach and a very talented team. Games against them are tough but a lot of fun.  

How has this sport impacted you?

Softball has taught me a lot of great life lessons. It has shown me that hard work really does pay off, and that there is always room for improvement. Failure is inevitable in the game and in life, and softball has taught me to never give up when things are tough and to be patient when things don’t always go my way. I have learned what it means to be part of a team, and I have built friendships that I will have for life.

What is one of your favorite memories of this sport?

Making friends, winning playoff games and beating a really good team is always a great memory. But my favorite memory is from my freshman year during one of our last games against Norwood. They were the reigning Herget champs for four years in a row. We played a great game, winning 9-3, and took the title. After the game Coach Sprague dove into our circle in the outfield. It was a great day.   

Sammi Kearns

Tim Hoffman

I began playing softball in second grade. 

Yes.  

My dad and uncle were prominent coaches in my sports career. They were always coaching me throughout travel teams and always pushed me to be the best. They knew my potential and always supported me. 

Best Buddies.  

Big rivals have been Newton North, Oliver Ames and Braintree. These teams are extremely competitive and give us a good competition. The coach for Oliver Ames and my softball coach are also best friends, so we like to play them.  

How has this sport impacted you?

It’s shown me by working hard, you can accomplish anything. 

My favorite memories of this sport was being the Bay State Champions my freshman and sophomore year of high school. Another memory I love is creating unbreakable bonds with my teammates.