7 Tips for Making Remote Learning More Enjoyable This Winter

We have all experienced it before: waking up to the pitch black morning, wearing excessive layers to face the freezing cold, slipping on ice while walking into school and overheating once you step into the blasting heat of your first period class. One advantage of hybrid learning this year is getting to stay warm in your house and not having to deal with the ice and snow, but it also presents its own problems. When it comes to remote learning it can be hard to find motivation to do work or join online meets. Students are tired from staying in bed all day, procrastination is at an all time high, mix in the fact that students have to deal with the pandemic and seasonal depression on top of attending remote school, and you have got yourself a recipe for a dreary next few months. Here are 7 tips for making remote learning more enjoyable throughout the winter season.

1. Find Comfortable Seating 

While the appeal of staying in bed all day is a hard one to pass, you should find a different comfortable place in your house to do remote learning. Staying in bed makes you less motivated to pay attention in class and do your work, and it makes school seem like a chore that is getting in the way of your relaxation. By going somewhere else, you will be more engaged and interested in class which makes school better. That being said, comfortable seating is also important. If you are in pain or uncomfortable, you will be restless and unhappy. A comfortable chair by the fire or window to see the snow will make you happier and less restless when it comes to remote learning. Stores like IKEA, Walmart and Target have comfortable desks and chairs at affordable prices, and now is the best time to invest in one because of all the online learning this year. 

2. Stay Warm

Being warm in your house while it is cold outside is a great feeling. When you are cold during class it makes you less likely to enjoy it and focus on the material because all you can think about is being cold. Put on a sweatshirt, sweatpants, fluffy socks or any other warm clothing while going to virtual class to solve this problem. A blanket can add extra warmth and make you more comfortable during long virtual sessions, and you don’t have to worry about other people seeing you because you are in the comfort of your own home. Dressing warm and even wearing gloves to keep your fingers warm while typing makes your remote learning experience better and more enjoyable, because you do not have to worry about being cold in class like you would during in person school, so you will have better focus and be ready for class.

3. Move Around

Sitting at the computer for the entire school day straight can be painful and uncomfortable. In between each class get up and stretch, take a lap around your house, go see your pet, or something else that gets you up and away from the screen. This year students spend hours in front of the computer between remote learning, homework, and other virtual activities, so it is especially important to take breaks to give your eyes and mind a rest.  It will also make you warmer if you are cold, and gives you a break from class. After you move around you will be refreshed and ready to learn, instead of becoming restless and cramped from sitting so long.

4. Make Seasonal Treats

While the holidays might technically be over, it doesn’t mean that we have to stop enjoying our favorite holiday treats. Make yourself some hot chocolate or a different warm drink, eat some seasonal cookies or candy, or try a new dessert recipe if you are feeling adventurous. These treats will make you happy and relaxed, and it will bring some holiday cheer to remote learning. Being relaxed will help you focus and be more present in class, so eating a treat or baking in your free time will help with your grades and class participation during online school.

5. Take Breaks

Take advantage of studies and breaks throughout the school day. If you’ve finished all your work and have some time before your next class, use your time to do something you enjoy. Read a book, watch an episode of a TV show, listen to your favorite music, or work on an art project for example. Taking small breaks throughout the day can put you in a good mood and encourage relaxation. Being home and online it is tempting to zone out on your phone  and lose focus when you get bored in between classes. Taking breaks will keep you from getting bored and give you less of an opportunity to use your phone, keeping you more engaged in class. It will make the overall school day more bearable, and give you an opportunity to relieve stress.

6. Go Outside

While you might not want to deal with the cold and snow during the school day, there are plenty of fun snow related activities to do after school. Plan to go sledding, have a snowball fight, or gather some friends to have hot chocolate and catch up while enjoying the snow.  Activities like these are easy to keep safe and socially distanced, and they give you something to look forward to after a long day of remote classes. Most people are home and have more freetime to do activities like this because of the pandemic, so take advantage of the fact that you are home and have time to do fun winter activities with friends and family. 

7. Focus on Mental Health

Focusing on your mental health is always important, but it is especially important this winter season. There are a lot of things going on this year, and between the pandemic, hybrid learning, seasonal depression and personal struggles, it is easy to forget to check in on yourself. Focusing on self care will improve your winter season and school year because you can stay on top of your mental health before it’s too late. If you are struggling this season, don’t be afraid to ask for support from a family member, friend, or trusted adult. Additionally, if the workload of hybrid learning is overwhelming, check in with a teacher or counselor about how you can manage your academic responsibilities. Though it’s easy to get caught up in the stress of the world, prioritizing your mental health will make it easier to stay happy and successful this year. 

Remote learning has been difficult for many students, and this stressful winter season is not going to make it any easier. These tips will help your at home classes be more enjoyable throughout the next few months, and help improve your mental and physical health during the school year.