Meet the Captains: Girls Hockey

Meet the Captains: Girls Hockey

Emma McInerney

When did u first begin playing this sport?

I started late and began playing hockey at age 10.

Do you want to continue this sport in college?

I am not planning on continuing hockey in college.

Who was a prominent coach in your sports career? Why?

Scott Meehan (Katie’s dad) was a prominent coach for me because he coached me pretty much my entire career. He wasn’t afraid to correct me when I was wrong and helped me grow a lot as a player.

What other activities/clubs are you involved in?

I also play soccer for the high school. 

How did you think the team did this season?

Although our record isn’t the best, our team is much stronger than the scores show. We have improved a lot since last year and are trying our best to have fun while in these circumstances.

What were some goals set for the team this season?/How did you achieve these goals?

Our main goals for our last 4 games are to shoot the puck more and never stop skating. Shooting has always been something we need to get better at and it’s never too late to work on it. 

Who are some big opponents/rivals?

Norwood is usually our biggest rival in hockey. We unfortunately weren’t able to play them this year though. All the teams we’ve played this year are good teams so it’s always a challenge against them and good to push ourselves. 

Katie Meehan

I started playing hockey when I was 5.

I’m not planning on continuing to play in college.

My dad was a big part of my hockey career because he coached me growing up and continued to push me to work harder.

I am not involved in any other clubs/sports.

Our team is a lot stronger and better than what our record this season represents. We played against the top teams in our league very competitively. 

Our biggest goal is to make sure everyone on the team has a good experience especially during this difficult time. 

Who are some big opponents/rivals?

We’ve always had a rivalry against Norwood although we do not get to play them this season. Also playing Wellesley is always a big game for us.

Kerrin MacMillan

I started playing when I was 6 years old. 

I still am debating whether or not I’m going to play in college. If I don’t play for the school then I may take up a small club team so I can just keep playing, but not so serious. 

I feel like the high school coach, Joe Verderber, because when I started my freshman year I was not good as I am today. Him knowing and coaching all of my sisters made me comfortable to grow with his coaching. 

I am only involved in ice hockey. 

I think our record does not show how good our team really is. This season we had trouble scoring goals, but I think we outplayed most of the teams, We also had a hard schedule against good teams. 

Since this season was so different because of COVID, I tried my best to do regular things we would do in a normal season. I wanted to keep the team’s traditions ongoing for the new freshmen.

Who are some big opponents/rivals?

Our biggest opponents have always been Norwood, but since we did not play them this season I would say Needham. Our games against Needham are always very aggressive and competitive.