The Lost Value of New Year’s Eve

With the final month of the year, most are scarcely getting by, impatiently waiting for the arrival of what some could argue are the most anticipated holidays. Each rejuvenates optimistic holiday spirit, as the world is celebrating religion while reuniting with loved ones, and additionally forgetting about everyday stress. With the core December festivities also carries the worldwide celebration of New Year’s Eve and Day, a nonsecular holiday intended to reflect on the past year and embrace the upcoming one. Some consider the holiday a burden: a two-day special filled with pressure to list improvements that most will never carry through with. On the other hand, most fail to recognize the spirit and unification that the holiday brings to any person who celebrates. Cultures around the world celebrate with varying traditions to bring forth luck and prosperity for the upcoming year, along with celebrating through parties, TV specials and plenty more. The negative aspect that so many associate with New Year’s Eve drives the potentiality to continue the “holiday ecstasy,” producing an anticlimactic introduction to our futures. Overseen for multiple factors, New Year’s Eve is a eulogy for aspirations and ambitions typically considered unrealistic, celebrated through lively events, and at the same time, it is one of the few holidays that offer a choice of individual or group observances, providing enjoyable aspects for any who choose to honor the holiday. 

With the sparkling disco ball illuminating the room, glittering confetti traversing through the air and yelling along to the all-too familiar countdown to midnight surrounded by loved ones is what makes the holiday so remarkable for many. However, people fail to see the thrill that the festivity conveys. New Year’s Eve allows one to spend quality time with friends and family, celebrating the previous year and the memories that occured with it. The holiday is immensely diverse in regards to celebration, as people can choose their own traditions to create. Popular activities include watching fireworks, creating resolutions and perhaps even sharing a New Year’s kiss with someone special. However, perhaps what makes New Year’s a favorite for some is that people can choose to spend it in any way that they please. Other cultures embrace their own new year and rebirth such as Chinese New Years—a celebration that glorifies the new year and a time to ask the gods to provide a good harvest for the upcoming year. Furthermore, even if one does not typically enjoy big celebrations or parties, New Year’s Eve can be spent celebrating the year that will be put behind them, and gives one the opportunity to make any personal changes or goals for themselves for the new year. It can also be celebrated with family or friends traditions, such as eating certain food, watching movies, or having game nights. Regardless of how one chooses to spend it, essentially the day is a break from work, school, or any other stresses in life, so it might as well be enjoyed. The end-of-year holiday can be used as a time to reflect on the previous year and to cherish the good memories, and to reflect on the not-so-good ones. Having a new year to look forward to is a great time to set goals and to envision where one wants to be in the future, regardless of whether or not traditional resolutions are made. The exhilarating countdown until midnight, the spectacular parties and the breathtaking fireworks, or even just a relaxing night-in all conjure together to create a holiday worth celebrating. There is so much anticipation and high spirit for the new year, so why not celebrate it?

A large contribution to the decline of New Year’s Eve is the fact that it lingers during an idle period, where many are accepting the fact that the highly anticipated holiday season is now another 360 days away. For many, the season is a time that reminds most of childhood nostalgia and enjoyment, pushing the globally celebrated day into the spotlight. WHS student survey shows that 74.1% of students would not consider New Year’s Eve to be one of their favorite holidays, many associating the holiday with eating out with family and friends when most would rather be at home asleep. While yes, the bustling week drains some, others find fulfillment in the commemorative night. “I feel it is very enjoyable, and very appreciative of the new opportunities that will come to everyone in the new year” one anonymous student at WHS said. Many students find the holiday to be boring and unimportant, while others claim that they like the atmosphere of it and enjoy the partying. 

Unlike most December holidays, there is not much induced stress when it comes to New Year’s Eve. No presents need to be purchased, no special dinner has to be planned and no one even needs to be invited to have a good time, so essentially the holiday is fairly laid back. New Year’s Eve has been normalized to be a low-pressure holiday as it offers great flexibility, allowing one to unwind and to use the day as an excuse to do whatever they please. For the party-goers, the day provides the perfect justification to stay up all night dancing with your friends. Moreover, the variety of worldwide traditions furthers individual connections between religion and family as celebrations such as parades, enjoying certain food and drinks, and admiring fireworks. While the two day celebration is not for everyone, the variety of aspects and flexibility the holiday brings call for reunion and new beginnings that are generally underlooked. The negative views many tie back to New Year’s Eve should be reconsidered as the holiday enforces intermittent routines and a positive atmosphere that is generally under appreciated.