WHS Students Attend Annual MASC Conference

Student council wins tenth straight Gold Council of Excellence

The+WHS+executive+board+poses+with+the+award.+

Photo/Student Council

The WHS executive board poses with the award.

The WHS Student Council highly anticipates the annual Massachusetts Association of Student Councils (MASC) conference each Spring and this year was no different, especially considering it was the first in person conference since before the COVID-19 pandemic. The MASC conference was held at the Cape Codder Hotel from March 8 to March 10. The conference provides an opportunity for Student Councils from around the state to collaborate and learn together. MASC consists of workshops, entertainment including a lip sync battle, guest speakers, regional meetings and a banquet with an award ceremony.

As Student Council organizes events and fundraisers throughout the year, they keep in mind the requirements in order to enhance their application for MASC awards. This year, Student Council’s hard work and efforts paid off as they were awarded the Gold Council of Excellence. This is the tenth straight year (excluding the pandemic) that the WHS Student Council has been named a Gold Council and they were given the award at the banquet on the final night of the conference.

Prior to the final night’s banquet full of dancing and awards, the 19 WHS attendees participated in several other MASC activities including a polar plunge. On the first day of the conference, members plunged in support of Special Olympics Massachusetts in order “to celebrate inclusion for individuals with intellectual disabilities.” Councils raised money to benefit Special Olympics athletes and WHS Student Council raised over $2,000, the ninth most out of all MASC councils. Altogether, MASC councils raised over $52,000 for the Special Olympics.

In addition to the polar plunge, members also participated in workshops where they acquired new skills. WHS Student Council advisor Kerry McMenimen ran a workshop of her own about team-work. During the workshops, Student Council members collaborated on ideas with other local high schools as well as enhanced their leadership, communication and inclusion skills that they plan to apply to WHS this year and in years to come.

“We had a great group at MASC this year and I know we will bring our lessons on communication and leadership into our council!,” junior and Assistant Secretary Faith Heffernan said.

In addition to MASC’s ability to elicit collaboration among councils, promote leadership and inclusion skills and award hard-work, the conference also gives the opportunity for WHS members to bond and plan to improve their own council.

“I think [MASC] shows that the problems we have in our council are problems other councils have and shows that the strengths we have as a council continue to grow and develop. MASC also fosters new leaders, more freshmen went this year than ever before which is exciting,” McMenimen said.